Vegan Mezze for Two
Mujaddara, Smoked Aubergine with Turmeric Cauliflower & Fattoush
Too often, vegan menus are a health-conscious afterthought. A limp salad at the end of the line-up; under-seasoned & unconsidered. But not this time.
Our vegan mezze features one of the most popular comfort dishes in the Middle East; Mujadarrah (Mejedra). It's a heavily-seasoned tangle of rice, lentils and crispy fried onions, so moreish that our 2-person pack includes ingredients for a 4-person portion.
Then there's the classic tahini-aubergine dish, given a new lease of life by layering over turmeric-spiced cauliflower and a zingy tomato salsa. Even our Fattoush has upped its game, with sumac-pickled onions and a zesty za'atar dressing. Meat or no meat, this is one of our favourite Bash Boxes.
Cooking time is about an hour on the day, with a half hour of prep the night before (if possible.)
This box is only available as a cook now kit and so, must be cooked within 2 days of delivery.
- Coriander seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Fresh coriander
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh mint
- Red onion
- Cider vinegar
- Basmati rice
- Green lentils
- Sunflower oil
- Olive oil
At Bash we don't create original recipes, we adapt them from people who know better than us and aim to give credit where credit is due. The value we offer is in extensive recipe testing and ingredient sourcing. The recipes in this kit are adapted from the following:
- The Mujadarrah (Mejedra) and Smoked Aubergine is adapted from the ultimate tome of Middle Eastern cooking, Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi's Jerusalem. If you are to buy one book, make it this one. Great dishes for sharing, easily recreated at home (with a little elbow grease) and beautifully written. Ottolenghi has a lot of books but this is one of his first and still the best if you ask us.
- After working with Ottolenghi, Sami Tamimi brought out his own wonderful book (a great follow up for anyone who has and loves Jerusalem) called Falastin. The Turmeric Cauliflower is adapted from it.
- The Fattoush is from a lovely book of family recipes called Palestine on a Plate by Joudie Kalla, highly recommended for anyone looking for unpretentious meals that feel like a warm hug.
- Gas hob or grill
- Oven tray (& oven)
- Medium-sized pot with lid
- 1 medium sized mixing bowl
- Wok or medium sized pot for frying
- Slotted spoon
Bash Boxes are delivered weekly in Dublin only, on Fridays between 11.30am - 6pm. Delivery costs €5.