Tacos Al Pastor with Salsa Two Ways
ou inTacos Al Pastor with Salsa Verde, Salsa Roja & Optional Beans and Rice
Cooking time: 1 hr*
Al Pastor is the king of Mexican street food. Cooked like a Turkish kebab on a vertical rotisserie, this pork and pineapple shwarma-taco is tender from the slow-cook, smoky from the char, and juicy from the pineapple. It is perfection in one bite and previously, impossible to replicate at home.
Not anymore though, thanks to Alex Stupak & Jordana Rothman and the genius technique from their book 'Tacos', which utilises "a well-butchered shoulder steak given a swift ride on a ripping hot grill".
This still isn't the easiest taco recipe in the world (try our Chicken Tinga Tacos for that) but for confident chefs with decent knife skills, it's relatively straightforward and so, so worth it. Marinated in adobo paste and slathered in red and green salsas, it hits every note on the flavour scales.
These tacos are a feast unto themselves, but if you want to round out your meal with some sides, we've added some simple but delicious rice & beans for a few euro extra.
*You'll need to put the beans on to simmer 30 - 45 mins before you start cooking your tacos if you include them.
- Ancho chillies
- Guajillo chillies
- Morita chilli
- Pork shoulder steaks
- Mexican oregano
- Corn tortillas
- Cider vinegar
- Green chillies
- Cumin seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- Fresh tomatoes
If including Beans & Rice
- Basmati Rice
- Pinto beans
- Indian bay leaves
- Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
This Bash Box is allergen free but is packed in the same space as other Boxes that contain common allergens. Please contact us if you are feeding someone with a severe allergy.
At Bash we don't create original recipes, we adapt them from people who know better than us and aim to give credit where credit is due. The value we offer is in extensive recipe testing and ingredient sourcing. The recipes in this kit are adapted from the following:
- The Tacos Al Pastor recipe is adapted from the genius 'Tacos' by Alex Stupak & Jordana Rothman. It's a great book but fairly far out (think cheeseburger tacos, or blood sausage with fava beans) so probably a better recommendation for your 10th Mexican cookbook than your first. The salsa roja is also adapted from here.
- Our salsa verde with avocado is adapted from the Guerilla Tacos cookbook, from the cult-status L.A. food truck of the same name.
- Large frying pan or chargrill pan
- Food processor, blender or liquidizer
- Large bowl
- Small or medium sized pan
Bash Boxes are delivered weekly in Dublin only, on Fridays between 8am - 6pm. Delivery costs €5.