Wild Mushroom Tacos & Charred Corn Esquites
Wild Mushroom Tacos with Salsa Verde, Charred Corn Esquites & Mexican Red Rice
Serves 2 - 8
It took forever to find the perfect mushroom taco. Something with bite and balance, that could kick you in the tastebuds without drowning out any delicacy. The secret was tomatillos (those small green tomatoes) and kale, flash fried with herbs and spices, then folded through caramelized mushrooms. The result is fresher and lighter than the average taco, with just as much umami.
We serve our Wild Mushroom Tacos with Charred Corn Esquites (the highest calling of corn, in our opinion) studded with feta*, fresh chillies, herbs and shallots; and moreish Mexican Red Rice.
It's a feast fit for a King, but one you can slide into regular rotation without too much guilt.
Cooking time 1 hour.
*This kit is available as a vegetarian or vegan option. Vegan option substitutes feta cheese for vegan cheese
Kits are delivered weekly on Fridays. Last orders Thursday at midday.
- Field mushrooms
- Wild mushrooms
- Corn tortillas
- Green chillies
- Golden caster sugar
- Mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- Feta cheese (or vegan parmesan)
- Basmati rice
- Tomato puree
This Bash Box contains feta cheese (dairy), mayonnaise (eggs). While it does not contain any gluten products, it is packed in a space where wheat is also packed. Please contact us before ordering if your gluten allergy is severe.
Olive or vegetable oil, salt & pepper
At Bash we don't create original recipes, we adapt them from people who know better than us and aim to give credit where credit is due. The value we offer is in extensive recipe testing and ingredient sourcing. The recipes in this kit are adapted from the following:
- Mushroom Tacos are adapted from the excellent Tacos: Recipes & Provocations by Alex Stupak & Jordana Rothman, a really adventurous cookbook recommended for experienced cooks & taco eaters.
- The Corn is adaptations from Ama, the cookbook of Bar Ama in Texas. It is an excellent resource for people more interested in Tex-Mex (think nachos) than Mexican food. Comfort food at its most delicious.
- The Red Rice is adapted from our favourite Mexican cookbook Nopalito. If you're only going to buy one Mexican cookbook, it should probably be this one.
- Food processor (optional, a mortar & pestle or even just a chopping board will do)
- 1 large frying pan or wok
- 1 skillet or medium frying pan
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Chopping board & knife
Bash Boxes are delivered weekly in Dublin only, on Fridays between 11.30am - 6pm. Delivery costs €5.