Prawn Palak Curry & Indian Dressed Greens
Prawn Palak Curry, Lemon Peanut Rice & Indian Dressed Greens
Cooking time 60 mins
Palak curry is a genius creation. It's creamy, but from spinach rather than cream, so it's not too rich. Like any self-respecting curry, it has great depth of flavour (think simmered tomatoes with fragrant garam masala and a touch of mango powder), and a bit of a kick. Most commonly served with paneer, we've subbed in prawns instead, for a bit more bite.
Offsetting that creamy bowl of goodness is zesty rice with lemon & tempered curry leaves; and slightly-charred greens in a chilli-lime dressing. This is as healthy as indulgence gets. And it's ready in under an hour!
Kits are delivered weekly on Fridays and must be used that weekend. Last orders Thursday at midday.
- A (very graphic) note on frozen prawns
- Not included, required
- Equipment required
- Prawns (we use frozen prawns. see note below for why)
- Chickpea flour
- Ajwain seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Chaat masala
- Kabab masala
- Garam masala
- Dried fenugreek leaves
- Dried Kashmiri chillies
- Garam masala
- Chopped tomatoes
- Greek yoghurt
- Green chillies
- Spinach (frozen)
- Basmati rice
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Unsalted peanuts
- Rice vinegar
When a prawn dies the contents of its veins start to seep into its flesh and break down walls there. This makes the meat softer, losing that wonderful firmness you get in a great cooked prawn. The more time that passes, the softer the prawn gets. Freezing it stops this process. Most frozen prawns are frozen on the boat these days, before they get back to shore. So unless you are buying fresh prawns from fishermen and cooking them that day, you'll usually get better results from frozen prawns. It's fine to cook them directly from frozen so long as you cook them through.
- Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
This kit contains chickpeas (gram flour), cream & greek yoghurt (dairy), mustard seeds and shellfish. While it does not contain any ingredients that have gluten, we pack our kits in an environment that may have traces of gluten. If you have a serious allergy please email us at email@example.com.
At Bash we don't create original recipes, we adapt them from people who know better than us and aim to give credit where credit is due. The value we offer is in extensive recipe testing and ingredient sourcing. The recipes in this kit are adapted from the following:
- The Prawn Palak curry is adapted from Gunpowder, a fantastic cookbook for confident cooks looking for more unusual Indian dishes, from a restaurant of the same name in London.
- The Lemon & Peanut rice is from Meera Sodha's Fresh India, which is an inspired take on vegetarian Indian food that's as good for non-veggies who occasionally like to eat a little lighter, as it is for veggies. Meera has a bunch of books and a regular column in the Guardian's food magazine, they're all great but this is our favourite.
- The Indian-Dressed Greens are from our all-time favourite book, Dishoom. Part cookbook, part Bombay guidebook, it is a feast of a book.
- 2 medium-sized pans (1 with lid)
- Grilll & grill pan
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
Bash Boxes are delivered weekly in Dublin only, on Fridays between 11.30am - 6pm. Delivery costs €5.