Baja Fish Tacos with Mexican Green Rice
Baja Fish Tacos with Chipotle Mayo, Slaw, Fresh Tomato Salsa & Mexican Green Rice
A fish taco sinks or swims on the strength of its batter. We tried a dozen recipes before landing on an adaptation of one by Guerilla Tacos, an LA food truck with cult status. It's light and crisp, beer-battered for flavour (of course) with a surprise sprinkle of paprika, garlic and onion powder. It's punchy as hell and perfect slathered in chipotle mayo. Add some fresh tomato salsa and a quick pink slaw, and you have yourself the perfect bite.
Our fish tacos are served with Mexican green rice: Basmati rice that is fried, steamed and baked in a paste of coriander, spinach, garlic and onions. A perfectly light and herbaceous accompaniment to crispy Baja Fish Tacos.
Cooking time 75 minutes.
This Bash Box includes everything you need to cook the weekend of delivery, including spices, meat & vegetables but with the exception of 1 egg and some olive oil.
Kits are delivered weekly on Fridays. Last orders Thursday at midday.
- Cider vinegar
- Chipotles en adobo
- Non-alcoholic beer
- Corn tortillas
- Fresh chillies
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Baking powder
- Smoked paprika
- Sea salt flakes
- Red cabbage
- Red onion
- Brown onions
- Fresh coriander
- Vegetable stock
- Basmati rice
- Vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
Contains flour (wheat) and non-alcoholic beer (wheat).
At Bash we don't create original recipes, we adapt them from people who know better than us and aim to give credit where credit is due. The value we offer is in extensive recipe testing and ingredient sourcing. The recipes in this kit are adapted from the following:
- Fish batter by Wesley Avila in his book Guerilla Tacos, named after his cult-status taco truck in L.A. If you're interested in cooking adventurous tacos (think tuna poke), his book is the best.
- Green rice is from Thomasina Miers' classic Mexican Food Made Simple, an excellent first step for those not totally comfortable with Mexican cooking - and since she's English, a the recipes are easier to source ingredients for.
- 1 small, oven-safe pan with a lid
- 1 large pan or wok for deep-frying
- Preference for mini food-processor (can manage without)
- Regular frying pan
- Mixing bowls & plates